Saturday, October 29, 2005

Nikon D200 - Soon To Be Released


It seems every couple of months a new camera comes out to replace a model that has been on the market for only a year. It’s often a very short store shelf life for digital cameras.

But that has not been the case for the Nikon D100 camera (I have two). It has remained in the Nikon digital camera line for three years (I've had mine for almost two years.) Sure, Nikon answered with a less expensive model called the D70 (later upgraded to the D70s with a very slight improvement in features) and now the new D50 which is their newest entry level DSLR (digital single lens reflex) camera.

The flagship model, the D1x was replaced with the D2x but not before we saw a specialty sports camera called the D2H (later to be replaced by the D2Hs). Interesting though, even though a less expensive model was introduced with slightly better performance (D70 / D70s), the D100 remained in the line until recently. Many questioned why that was the case. After all, it was more expensive than the D70, had slightly older features, and was, well, just plain older! But the D100 was built better. It had a stronger body, an optional vertical grip and shutter release button, and provisions for an extra battery. Pros that were used to the camera kept it and didn’t move to the lower priced D70. But they did buy the D70 as their backup camera. Interesting.

For me, instead of buying a D70 as a backup camera, I went and bought another D100 as a secondary camera. My logic? I was already making great photos with the D100 and having two identical cameras made it that much easier to quickly switch from one to the other. You don’t have to think about it. You just react.

I actually shoot with three cameras at many weddings. No, these are not backup cameras, but are utilized along with the main camera. I’m faster that way, although it is more cumbersome at times.

But, the D100 is soon to be replaced, after a three year reign. Rumor has it that the D200 is expected to be announced in November and I’ve already seen photos of the camera. How can that be if they haven’t even announced it? Well, Nikon “accidentally” had a photo of the D200 and its specifications up on their own website for a short time. After realizing their mistake, they quickly took it off the website. You see, Nikon is one of the most secretive camera companies and won’t let any information out until the official announcement date. So you can imagine their surprise to find that the leak came from themselves! But that page has been screen saved and circulated around the internet now, so it’s no longer really a secret. Even large detailed photos of all angles of the camera have been circulated.

Like many pros who have been anticipating the new camera, I hope to replace my trusty D100 cameras with either the new D200 or perhaps the next generation of the Fuji S3 Pro camera. The S3 Pro has a sensational image sensor and the colors that come out of it are fantastic. The body is based on the same basic body that the D100 is based on, so they function very similarly. Fuji is essentially a Nikon clone but has features and a sensor unique to them. They both use Nikon lenses.

If Fuji were to release an “S4 Pro,” I’d be very tempted to get one! But I expect that an S4 will be a LOT more expensive than the D200. So the most logical upgrade path for me right now would be to purchase two D200’s.

In preparation for the D200’s arrival on the store shelves, I figure I might as well let everyone know I’m looking for buyers for my two cameras and two vertical grips. But I won’t sell them until the D200 is actually ready to be put in my hands. That could mean December or January depending on supply. However, if you know of anyone who might be interested in one or two D100 / MB-D100 cameras with vertical release grips, please let me know. Both cameras are in excellent condition as I am very careful with my camera gear.

In the meantime, the D100 continues to perform and provide excellent images for all my weddings! If nobody buys these cameras from me, I am not hindered in any way as it is a very familiar camera to me and I expect it to perform as flawlessly as when I first bought them. Let me know if you know anybody in the market for a DSLR camera!

Photo Info: This image of the Nikon D100 was taken with a Fuji F10 point and shoot camera set on Auto mode with flash. The small metal plate on the bottom of the vertical grip is a Newton bracket quick release plate. It's not included with the camera if sold.

No comments: