Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Uncle Harry

I can't write about my old camera and my dad's influence on me in photography without mentioning my Uncle Harry.

I think everyone has an Uncle Harry in their family. Well, maybe he's not named Uncle Harry in your family, but still he's the guy always taking pictures at family events. You've got one of those, right? :)

Anyway, Uncle Harry was always taking pictures. In fact, I don't think we ever saw him without a camera. He was very well known in our community and everyone called him Uncle Harry, even those who weren't related to him. But he was loved anyway and he was the guy who took everyone's picture.

He documented all of us growing up with his pictures. And after taking all those great B&W photos (he shot mostly in B&W), he would develop the film, print them in his own basement lab and give us all the photos.

When Uncle Harry passed away, everyone lost their favorite photographer. But he's still loved and admired even today. Mention his name to anyone in our community and you get a smile and a quick, "Ah, Uncle Harry! Yes, I miss him..."

I wonder if I'm now the new Uncle Harry of my generation...

No... there will never be anyone like my Uncle Harry. Nobody even comes close.

No comments: