Friday, December 23, 2005

Argus C3 Camera

The Argus C3 was made from 1939-1958 and is affectionately nicknamed "The Brick." That's because it weighs like a brick and is built like one too!

The one pictured above was my dad's and when I was a kid, I'd take that camera and my Kodak Brownie Bullet camera and run around the house taking "fake pictures" (no film) all the time. Now I run around the house and take digital pictures of my family all the time. Drives them crazy! :)

I still have the C3 pictured above. It had it's own flash unit, but that has since been lost. The C3 is a "Rangefinder" 35mm camera. It does not have a mirror system like a single lens reflex camera but rather focuses by looking through one of the two viewfinders and adjusting the lens so that the split image lined up on the top half of the image with the bottom half. It's a great camera and lots of people had one back in it's day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pride of my camera collection is my Dad's C3. I still remember being in 7th grade taking photos at the zoo with it. I remember how long it took to take a meter reading (it had no internal meter) and making all the proper adjustments. It's what I attribute my photography foundation that has become a career.

russlowe said...

Thanks Tom! I'm glad to have my professional photography friends commenting here as well!

You still have your C3, I assume? I'll never part with mine because it was my dad's... just as I'll never part with my original Kodak Brownie Bullet either!

Thanks again for your comment.