Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How Long Do CD-R or DVD-R Image Files Last?


Not forever!!

CD-R's and DVD-R's are not designed to last forever. Each company has different qualities in their digital media and it's a sure thing that the CD's and DVD's do not last forever. This means that the data on the discs could be lost over time.

Because of this, I always suggest my clients do a backup of their image files and slideshows onto other storage media often. How often? Who knows! CD-R's and DVD-R's can last for years, but nobody really knows how many years.

I suggest taking your CD's and DVD's and copying the files onto your hard drive and keeping a copy there. Then, every few years, make a backup copy on another CD-R or DVD-R (it's up to you if you want to use DVD-R or DVD+R.) The main point here is BACKUP YOUR DATA often.

I do not guarantee that my files of your wedding images will be available years from now. Keep in mind that your wedding images will span several CD's when you receive them from me. DVD slideshows are on only one disc. Imagine how many CD's and DVD's I have of weddings over the course of only one year!! I have a BUNCH of discs! Because of this, I can't backup everything as much as you can. So, be aware that it is your own responsibility to safeguard your wedding images on your own digital media.

I also suggest burning an extra copy of your image files and slideshows and give them to your parents or siblings to keep for you. This way, you always have an extra copy of your images in another location other than your own home. It's a good way to make sure your images will be secured. I don't mind you making additional copies of your discs. My license to you allows you to do this.

2 comments:

Hawa said...

Todo depende del material con que estan fabricados, pero todos tienden a oxidarse. Algunos CD-R de la marca Verbatim dicen que pueden durar 100 años, la mayoria creo que duran 50 años.

Aunque he visto algunos de muy mala calidad que duran menos de 10 años.

Saludos.

russlowe said...

Not being a Spanish speaking person, I was not able to understand the comment left above... so I had my pastor interpret it for me since he speaks Spanish!

Here's what the message above says...

"Everything depends on the material they're made of, but all of them tend to oxidize. Some CD-Rs of the brand Verbatim say that they can last 100 years, I think the majority last 50 years.

Although I have seen some of very bad quality that last less than 10 years.

Regards."