Sunday, February 19, 2006

Chicago Auto Show




Wow, what a day!

We braved the cold temperatures and several of my friends and I went to the Chicago Auto Show! I have not been to an auto show since perhaps 1992 when I was still in San Diego. But I recall when I was very young, my dad and mom took our family to several auto shows and I was always amazed that there was so much to see. My brother and I would come home with a huge bag full of literature and we'd spend the next few days looking at all the cool cars in the brochures.

This time, I was just as excited to be at the show as I was when I was younger, but I did not take a single piece of literature. I was too busy taking photos! To see what I shot, go to http://www.printroom.com/ghome.asp?domain_name=evidencetech&group_id=4 and click on "Chicago Auto Show." The password to get into the photo gallery is Cars.

2 comments:

Momma said...

i actually almost called you from the auto show on feb 15th, to ask what you would recommend for settings... so i must ask... what settings did you use?
:)

russlowe said...

Except for the fisheye photos, these images were shot with a Nikon D200 and a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens.

That lens is VERY sharp and should be a great tool for 2006 weddings.

The settings were: Camera on ISO 800, lens set at an aperture of f 2.8, Aperture Priority setting for automatic camera exposure... often with the camera choosing around 1/125 second for a shutter speed.

At times I had to do spot metering with the camera to get the right exposure, but most often, a matrixed metering gave me just as good an exposure.

Images were shot without in-camera sharpening and then later sharpened with Photoshop.

White balance was done with an "Expodisc" white balance filter and then later post processed with another computer program partially designed by Gary Fong to double check the accuracy of the white balancing. Image exposure, contrast, saturation, shadow depth, etc was tweaked in the same program.

So right out of the camera, the images looked pretty good. But post processing on the computer helped fine tune the images.

Not bad, huh? :)