Monday, May 01, 2006

Steel Drums


My wife and I had the good fortune to attend a performance by the River Trails Middle School's Steel Drum Band this past Friday.

Music instructor Steve Flowers arranged for the kids to play at Peetie's Gourmet in Mount Prospect during dinner hour. Not only did the kids from the school play a number of tunes, the kids who had graduated from the school last year were also invited to join the group to play a number of songs as well. My daughter was part of last year's group and so we were there to listen to her play.

The kids did a great job and the place was packed. I'd say the kids play as well as many other Steel Drum bands I've heard in the past and this includes some professional bands I've heard while working as a pro photographer.

Steve Flowers is not just an ordinary music teacher. He was one of a group of teachers who had won a bunch of prizes from Oprah Winfrey two Christmas' ago during the 2004 "Oprah's Favorite Things" show! Click here to see a video segment from the show featuring Steve Flowers and the River Trails Middle School's Bucket Band. My daughter was one of the kids in this band as well.

Steve Flowers is one of three music instuctors at the school which also include orchestra director Ann Forman and band director Todd Smith. My daughter has had all three instructors as she was also part of the orchestra and Jazz band.

Music is an important part of a child's development and I encourage everyone to support the music programs in the schools. Too often, music and art programs are eliminated from schools because of budgetary issues. Let's keep the arts alive in our schools and support these programs!

No comments: