Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Double Duty

Image courtesy of Anita

Two Saturday's ago, I helped photograph my nephew's wedding. Like all family events, EVERYONE gets involved. I'm sure you know how it is if you have ever had to plan a wedding before. Literally, it was a multi-day event. People were running all over the place!

Now this is not the first family wedding we have had to deal with. We've done them before. But this was the first time that we had two family members photographing the wedding (my sister-in-law was the "official" wedding photographer at this one and I supplimented her shots with mine.) Several years ago when my niece got married, her uncle from her mom's side photographed the wedding alongside me. I also photographed two of my sister-in-law's weddings in the past, but I did those by myself.

But this was the first time I was asked to give the opening prayer before the reception as well as photograph the wedding. My nephew asked me to do this just moments before it happened.

So that's why you see me still holding my camera and dressed as a "photo ninja" and giving the opening prayer! I thought it was rather funny, so I decided to share this photo with all of you. It was photographed by my sister-in-law, Anita.

The wedding turned out fine and like many Asian weddings, we had a huge banquet afterwards. Fourteen entries were served. Talk about a LOT of food! I think this was one of the rare instances where I didn't have to worry about photographing everything that happened at the wedding since I could count on Anita taking care of many of the shots. Because of this, I got to endulge in all the food while she had to get up and do the table shots and toasts, etc. Man... that felt good.

Image courtesy of Anita

Here is an image of me that Anita shot in retaliation of me photographing her at work.


Everyone knows I can't resist photographing other photographers. Well, with her Nikon camera, Anita was able to fire back quickly to get me. That doesn't happen often at most of my weddings. Typically, guests who try to do this are using "point & shoot" digital cameras and they just can't shoot fast enough to get me before I'm already gone. Not this time... Dueling Cameras!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Russ,

Thank you for your compliments! Happy Shooting!!!!! More to come at other occasions.

Love,
Anita

russlowe said...

Anita:

Yeah, it was fun letting you do all the hard work while I sat at the table and ate all the food!

Maybe I should do that at other weddings too...

Nah...

:)

Russ

Anonymous said...

What is the flash diffuser you are using ? I thought you were using the lightsphere during your weddings ?

david

russlowe said...

David:

I use and have used many different diffusers for weddings. The one pictured here is the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro which is the most recent version of the Joe Demb "Flip-It." Basically, it's a 4"x4" Flip-It (an adjustable bounce card) with two diffusion material in the front.

I still use the Lightsphere "Cloud" (vinyl version) and the Lightsphere II (original hard plastic version) for weddings. But at this wedding, I needed more forward light and so I turned to the Demb diffuser. You can read more about the Demb Flash Diffusion Pro on an earlier post in July.

I've also used the following diffusers:

Westcott Micro Apollo
Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer
Lumiquest Pro Max System
Lumiquest Midi Bouncer
Lumiquest Softbox
Lumiquest Ultrasoft
Lightsphere PJ

No one diffuser can do everything and each give a slightly different effect.

Thanks for your question!

Russ

russlowe said...

By the way, the diffuser you see Anita using is the Lumiquest Pro Max System.

It's basically the Lumiquest 80-20 modifier with a white bounce card inserter. Used this way, the 80-20 is essentially turned into the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer.

More forward light is given with the bounce card in place. We were facing a ceiling height of perhaps 20 feet and so in effect, we really could not count on any ceiling bounce happening at the church. So both of us decided that we needed a lot more forward light than either an 80-20 or Lightsphere could give.

Last Saturday's wedding had a similar ceiling height but I found that the Lightsphere Cloud with the Internal Dome inserted worked better than the Demb Flash Diffuser Pro in that church. Even with such a high ceiling, the Lightsphere gave a better light when the ID was used. The flash was still pointed straight up to the ceiling too!

So where you might think duplicating the light from a previous wedding would work in a similar situation, sometimes it doesn't and you need to find another alternative.

Russ