Sunday, September 03, 2006

Spider Update


I decided to check up on our "little friend" to see how he was doing. Well, he moved to a new location but he's still hanging upside down.

I shot this image with the same technique as last time by putting the flash on the floor, but this time I used a Fuji S3 Pro camera instead. I focused manually because autofocus could not lock in since he is so small. I changed the aperture to f 16 this time because I wasn't happy with the shallow depth of field provided by the f 5.6 aperture last time. Now, his legs are much sharper. Speaking of which, it does appear that one of his legs is injured because it's much shorter than it should be. I noticed this on the other photo as well, but figured it was because of the angle in which he was shot. I don't think so anymore... he's injured.

Also with the larger depth of field, you can see the mess he's made with his web. It was not visible in the previous image because it was blurred out along with his legs at f 5.6. Which image version do you prefer?

I've always thought that spiders must have a lot of patience. They hang in the same position for days waiting for some other creature to come along so they can grab them for food. But what if nothing comes along? How long should they wait before giving up and moving on?

Scary looking guy isn't he? Again, his total body length is really only about 1/4 inch. He's just your typical house spider. But magnified in a macro shot, I suppose all spiders are a little scary looking. :)

1 comment:

russlowe said...

In case you were wondering what ever happened to our little friend here...

He got flushed.

So much for friendship!

I'm nice, but not stupid.