Friday, November 17, 2006

Chicago


Perhaps it was the recent 30 year reunion with my high school classmates that got me on this nostalgia kick, but I've been really enjoying listening to all my old Chicago albums again! In a survey of my classmates from the reunion, the group Chicago was mentioned more times than any other group as their favorite band. No other band even came close to being mentioned as often as Chicago!

The first album entitled "The Chicago Transit Authority" is probably my favorite album of all time. Since then, Chicago has gone on to release a total of 30 albums! That's incredible!

Their unique sound, complete with a fabulous horn section, solidified their place in Rock 'n Roll history and every band I knew that had a horn section had to cover at least a few Chicago tunes. I recall playing in a band in the late 70's and we covered a few Chicago tunes too.

I recently purchased a DVD which featured Chicago along with Earth, Wind & Fire. Wow, both groups still sound great!

I recall seeing Chicago in 1976 at the University of Illinois. Guitarist Terry Kath was still alive and I remember how much I enjoyed the show. It was the first concert I ever attended and I was amazed at how good the group sounded. I had the chance to see them again several years later at a concert in Chicago as well.

After all these years, their sound still holds up. I encourage you to check out their songs!

No comments: