Friday, April 06, 2007

Woodpecker


I spotted this little guy doing what he does best this morning and decided to take a shot at him.

Ok, it was with my camera, not a gun.

The image was taken with a Fuji S5 Pro camera set at ISO 100 with a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens mounted on it. The lens was set at 200mm at f 2.8.If you look at the tree, you can see that he's made some damage already. Wonder if he gets a headache from all that pecking!

Be sure to click on the image to see a larger version.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find this lovely red head in your backyard?

russlowe said...

Actually, I saw this woodpecker in my neighbor's tree the day before and told myself that if I saw it again, I'd take a photo of it. It was his backyard.

Sure enough, the bird came back the next morning and so I grabbed my Fuji S5 camera and put the Nikon 70-200mm lens on it.

It would have been better had I taken this at f 5.6 or f 8.0 to get the entire tree in focus. At f 2.8, the only thing in focus is the bird itself. With an aperture of f 2.8 and a focal length of 200mm, the depth of field is a little too shallow to get sharp focus on foreground objects like the tree. Still, not a bad shot of the bird itself.

Momma said...

I have never seen a woodpecker that up close, let alone the holes in the tree!
I learned this weekend about having the aperature set at 2.8 and only focusing on one object in the photo - which works for a lot of what I shoot, but not of my nephews coloring easter eggs!! The depth of field was definitely too shallow. Luckily, thanks to my buddy Russell Lowe's teach skills, I was able to realize that the aperature was too low and adjust accordingly :D

russlowe said...

Thanks Gina!

Too bad the teacher didn't learn the lesson on this shot though! LOL