Thursday, May 03, 2007

"Do We Feed The Photographer Or Not?"



A recent debate on one of the photography forums I frequent involves whether the photographer should eat dinner along with the guests at a wedding reception.

Some photographers feel they should and others feel they should not.

Personally, I don't really care one way or the other. It's ok with me if you sit me down at a table with your guests during dinner or if you have a sandwich ordered for me and put me in the back room to eat by myself... but yes... you need to feed me! LOL

Like all other people, I get hungry after working for many hours without a break. Plus, to do my job properly, it's not really convenient to run out to McDonalds to get a Big Mac for dinner and still be expected to be available to at a moment's notice to photograph something at your wedding!

Usually, I don't take photos of your guests eating their dinner, so it's really the best time for me to have my dinner as well. In all the years I have been photographing weddings, not one client has ever told me that they wanted photos of their guests with their mouths full of food. It just does not make for a good photo and the guests don't really appreciate it either. So, during dinner hour, I take a break. Besides, it's often the first and only break I get from working the entire day!

I've been lucky in that most of my clients have always been considerate enough to remember to order some food for me at the reception. Some have asked me to sit at a table with their guests and others have provided me with something basic and had a separate table in the back of the room where I and perhaps the other vendors can have a quick bite. That's perfectly fine and I have no problems with that whatsoever. Only one client in 17 years has not provided something and I was forced to drive to a local Burger King to get a quick sandwich. And yes, I did ask for permission to go and was told, "No problem." Hmmm.....

So, whatever you decide is right is ok by me. I just ask that something be provided to keep me alive and able to hold the camera up without shaking from hunger. LOL

All kidding aside, thanks to all who have been thoughful enough to provide for me. I appreciate it.
________________
Oh, one more thing... please ask the caterers to feed the photographer at the same time as the guests. Often the caterers will give the photographer food AFTER all the guests have eaten. I suppose they just feel that the photographer is also a vendor and should get served last. The problem with this is that while the photographer is finally able to try to eat, the guests have finished and are now ready to be photographed! So then, the photographer can't eat and has to do his job. Remember too that while the guests are eating, the photographer really isn't taking any photos. So not only is he/she waiting for something to eat, he's not doing anything anyway. And when he can finally eat, he can't because he's got to start working again! So PLEASE ask the caterers to serve the photographer at the same time as the guests. Thank you!

No comments: