Thursday, June 07, 2007

Haley Dykes In Concert - Silverdale Baptist Church, Chattanooga, TN








This past weekend while I was in Tennessee photographing the wedding of Holli Dykes and Lucas Brown, I decided to spend Sunday with Holli's sister, Haley and her ex-fiance (edit: updated) Joshua instead of doing some more sightseeing before going home. I was satisfied with just having visited Ruby Falls and felt that was enough.

I've known Haley for about 3 years now, having gone to many of the shows that she and her dad, Doyle Dykes holds in the Chicago area. Over these years, I've gotten to see how Haley has grown and matured as a musical artist so it comes as no surprise that she is now in demand for performances of her own.

She was scheduled to play at 9:30 AM, 11:05 AM and 6:30 PM at Silverdale. I go to church on Sundays so it was especially convenient for me that Haley was performing locally in Chattanooga while I was there. It made deciding where to go a lot easier for me!

Although I stayed up late after the wedding of her sister on the night before, I got up early and checked out of my hotel room and headed for the church. Luckily for me, the church was only several minutes from the hotel.

As we were waiting for the 9:30 church service, I had the opportunity to help Haley warm up by playing Joshua's Taylor 915 guitar while Haley played her mandolin and sang. Joshua played Doyle's custom-made Taylor T-5 electric guitar since I was using his guitar. This particular T-5 has the well-known "White Rose for Heidi" on the headstock of the guitar... just like the DDSM guitar.

I stayed for both the 9:30 and 11:05 services and then later we all went out for lunch. At 2:00, we headed back to the church as Haley had asked a drummer and bass player to join in for the 6:30 performance and they needed to practice. Unfortuanately, I had to leave to catch my plane ride home, so I only stayed until 3:30 PM.

During that time though, I continued to photograph the practice session and got to see how Haley worked as she prepared for a gig. I am used to hearing Doyle back up Haley on guitar, so this was the first time I have heard her play with other musicians. Her fiance Joshua is very good on the guitar so Haley still has quality sound even without her dad there! By the way, Joshua meets the "Russ Lowe Seal Of Approval" when it comes to being the future husband for Haley! What a terrific young man! I like him a lot, and yes, they are a cute couple!

Before I left for the airport, I jumped in with the band for one song by playing the nice Yamaha grand piano that the church had on stage. It was a little hard to keep proper time since I didn't have a monitor aimed at me and I could only hear the drums echoing off the walls. Hopefully I did ok...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ,
Nice shots, as always. Clear as can be.
Great shots of the wedding music band.
The pic of Haley at the Silverdale church smiling with her mandonlin... that's a showpiece shot, maybe even a cd/album cover !

ottO said...

Hey Russ, I hope you are doing well! Warm weather and the wedding season are just starting up here in the U.P.

I will be in your area next week, the Tinley Park area to be exact, for a training. I don't know if I will have much time to arrange a visit as we doing 10 hour days the whole week.

Send me an email sometime!

Otto