Friday, August 03, 2007

Vertical or Horizontal?



Which of these two images do you prefer?

Both of these images were taken on 7-7-07. Yes... the biggest wedding day of the year. This was taken at the Embassy Suites in Schaumburg, IL.

The images were shot from the 2nd floor looking down. The camera was a Fuji S5 Pro with a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX lens set at 17mm. Exposure was 1/20 second at f 2.8 with the camera's ISO at 1600. I steadied the shots by leaning the camera on the railing from the second floor.

No flash was used and only the natural light of the environment lit the scene. It wasn't very bright when I shot this image as it was taken after 10 PM, so no sunlight was available.

What do you think? Vertical or Horizontal (Portrait or Landscape)?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll put my photo editor hat on (I work as one at a well known sports network) and say that the vertical works better for me. Here is why - it draws my eye directly to the bride and groom and still hints at the ambiance of the venue. The horizontal version is too loose in my eyes and it allows one to be distracted by all that is filled in the frame. The other thing is the main focal point of the vertical falls nicely on the 'rule-of-third' grid. The horizontal has the subject matter smack dab in the center which doesn't make it such a dynamic image.

Adrian said...

I am instantly drawn to the vertical shot

Anonymous said...

Vertical!

Anonymous said...

I like the Vertical style.

I don't like all the "junk" at the outer edges of the Horizontal shot. If I wanted trees in my wedding picture, I would go to a jungle! ;)

russlowe said...

Looks like everyone likes the vertical shot. I do too. I just thought I'd wait a little while before commenting on it myself so that others had a chance to jump in.

The vertical follows more of the "rule of thirds" as Seshu pointed out. It's a more dynamic looking shot overall.