Monday, August 13, 2007

Window Light


Here's a variation on the "classic" window light pose.

Most often, photographers who use window light for portraits have the subject INSIDE the room allowing the window light to stream in to create its magic. But this shot I took has the subject OUTSIDE of the room!

The sunlight makes for nice hairlight and detail lighting. The warmer light from inside the room blends nicely with the outside light creating a warmer tone and nice modeling to the face as well.

This shot was not planned. It was "grab" shot. I saw the subject leaning in from the window, so I raised my camera and took the shot. I had been shooting images inside for a while and just happened to see this subject peering in through the open window. I shot it as quick as I could relying solely on the camera's aperture priority mode to capture the right exposure. I couldn't have asked for a better shot! True "portrait quality" for something that could have easily been just a snapshot! This shot is right out of the camera. No post production Photoshop work was necessary other than very slight cropping. And yes, this is a JPG image... it was not shot in RAW format. (ISO 1000, 1/60 sec at f 2.8 at 70mm - Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens / Fuji S5 Pro camera)

No comments: