Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Luvabulls






















On Friday, I had a chance to see the Chicago Bulls play the Dallas Mavericks in an exhibition pre-season game. We won 100-92!

This was the first Chicago Bulls game I have ever been to in person and I had a great time! But surprisingly, as much as I liked watching the Bulls play, I had an even better time watching the Luvabulls!

The Luvabulls is the team's cheerleaders! They really helped make the game a lot more fun. Totally professional and tightly rehearsed (each member even put their pom pons in the same spot behind them when they weren't cheering); I was really impressed by them! It figures that a wedding photographer would photograph the girls rather than the game, right?


My daughter was in cheerleading several years ago and was also on the pom pon team as well. Today, she's on her school's Orchesis dance team. So to watch these girls on the Luvabulls was a natural thing for me. I kept telling my wife that the high school teams should attend these games just to pick up some pointers from these girls! (10-15-07 Note: My daughter reminded me that one of her former teachers, who was also at one time the High School Pom Pon coach, was formerly a Luvabull too!)

So even though I photographed the Bulls while they played, I shot probably just as many images of the Luvabulls too! Go see them if you can! And if you want to watch the ball game, you can do that too...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Russ,
Thank's for the very true & pleasant comment about the Luvabulls. Matter of fact one of the girls in your photo collection is my daughter.This is her second season with the Luvabulls...My wife and I are visiting this January, and we'll be there at the United Center cheering for the Bulls and The Luvabulls as well...

Nick GCV of San Diego, CA

russlowe said...

Hi Nick!

Thanks for your comment. It's great that your daughter is part of the Luvabulls! I really did enjoy the game a lot more with the girls cheering!

I think unless you have seen how hard cheerleaders and Pom Pon squad members work to perfect their routines, you can't appreciate it. Too often people joke about how cheerleaders are there just to look pretty and only add sex appeal to an event. Really, these girls are just as much of an athletic organization as the ball team!

Competitive cheerleading is pretty intense too. Even at the sixth grade level when my daughter first started out, I could not believe that they had girls flying in the air and how high the pyramids were! It was amazing! Then when we attended one of the competitions... wow! Some of routines these cheerleaders did just blew me away! Unbelievable and exciting!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment here. Tell your daughter (whichever one she is) that the Luvabulls do an incredible job!

Russ