Monday, October 29, 2007

Videotape Recorders? What's That?





Many years ago, when I still resided in the San Diego area, I purchased an S-VHS video editing system to use for my work in video. Not many know that I actually have a court-qualification not only in Forensic Photography and Forensic Audio, but also in Forensic Videography as well. I created many videos for court applications while working both for the DA's Office in San Diego and also privately.

Anyway, back then I had a Newtek Video Toaster computer system which allowed anyone with a decent video editing system to create near broadcast quality effects and transitions. It was revolutionary at the time. Of course by today's standards, it doesn't compare. But to run it properly I purchased two Panasonic Industrial SVHS AG-7500 recorder/players and an AG-750 remote controller. It worked out great!

But today, I don't work in video at all. Virtually all of my work is photography related. So, I had put these machines up for sale to see if anyone might want them. When new, the retail price of this system was something like $15,000. Yikes! Luckily, I didn't buy them for that price because I got them used. I paid around $2500 for the system. So to help sell these, I priced the entire system for $250. One machine works just fine... the other needs to be repaired by resoldering one cable (I know exactly which one because if you jiggle it, it works.)

Well, nobody was interested. I figured even at $250 with one recorder working just fine, this might be a good system for someone to get started in working out their skills in video production. Wrong! Nobody wants it.

Today, video is digital based. And editing is done almost fully on computers. Nobody wants an old video machine even if it was state of the art years ago. It's similar to the demise of film for photography. Most people want a digital camera today... not a film camera.

My family currently uses the good recorder to play back our old VHS and SVHS tapes. It just seems like overkill to have such a huge industrial strength recorder to do that function. But it works and does an extremely good job playing back videotapes.

Anyone want a dinosauer? Make me an offer! Local pickup only because these things weigh a ton!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you've still got this system, I may be interested.

Pat Richards
patrichards318@msn.com

Rants and raves said...

Hi,

I am interested if you still have it. My email is: samuelkingdon001@googlemail.com

Many Thanks,
Sam