Thursday, December 27, 2007

Epiphone AJ-500R After Years of Owning Taylor Guitars!





If you have followed my years of buying and selling Taylor guitars, you know I've gone through a LOT of guitars!

Not counting other brands... here are just the Taylors I've owned so far:

2003 Taylor 414rce
2006 Taylor 614ce
2006 Taylor GSMSe
2003 Taylor 314ce-L4
2006 Taylor DDSM
2006 Taylor 110 with K&K Pure Western Mini Pickup
2007 Taylor DN3 with K&K Pure Western Mini Pickup
2007 Taylor GS8e (with Cutaway)
2006 Taylor GSMC with K&K Pure Western Mini Pickup
2006 R. Taylor – Style 1 – Engelmann Spruce / East Indian Rosewood with K&K Pure Western Mini Pickup

So after playing all these fine guitars, always looking for the best sound and woods, I decided to try an Epiphone DR-500R. I was shocked! It sounded good! But I had read a bunch of reviews from other Epiphone owners who had the AJ-500R and they seemed to really like it. So I decided to sell the DR-500R and get an AJ-500R to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know.

Let me tell you, that the first playing of the guitar was only so-so. Sure it had a lot of bass and was actually quite bright too. But it was lacking in the midrange as far as complex overtones and fullness. Not to fear because I had already ordered a Colosi Bone Saddle for it and I was planning on replacing the cheap plastic bridge pins for brass pins (I don't really think these add much sound difference, but I like the convenience of using these for fast and positive string changes.) I also glossed the entire guitar except for the neck by using Scratch-X. I had done a similar thing to the DR-500R and found that the guitar will fully gloss up nicely. I took off the pickguard as well. Didn't even need a hairdryer... just pulled it off slowly.

In addition, I added in a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup system to the guitar. I had to drill out a larger hole in the body to accomodate the 1/4 inch jack. And I added the strap button to the heel of the neck which I took from the bottom of the guitar after replacing it with the K&K jack. I replaced the silver jack/strap button with a Gold one which I had purchased directly from K&K.

I strung up a fresh set of Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Lights as well.

The sound is now DRAMATICALLY different than the stock guitar. I raised the action (which was very fast out of the box) to give it a better chance for more bass (which it did.) The sound is now very full and even across the entire frequency spectrum. The clarity and brightness I associated with the many Taylors I've owned was still there on this guitar. But what I got was a bass that none of my Taylors or R. Taylor was able to give me. Whereas I liked the sound of the GS guitars best from Taylor because it had the best bass of all the Taylors I've owned, it still could not compare to the chest thumping bass I'm now getting out of this Epiphone.

The downside of this guitar? Well, it's not the prettiest woods I've seen. In fact, it's kind of cheap looking! The top is not quality Sitka. The Rosewood, although even looking, does not have that fine quality I've seen on my Taylors. Glue is evident in the insides of the guitar. It's just not made anywhere as nicely as any of the Taylors I've owned... including the 110.

But this Epiphone plays very nice and sounds fantastic. But it's never going to win any contests for its looks. Don't get me wrong, the guitar looks fine... it's just not up to the caliber of woods that you'd associate with a high-end guitar.So am I planning to buy more guitars in the future? Probably. But I'm actually very happy with the sound and playability of this Epiphone. I never thought I'd be happy with a guitar in this price range, but WOW! This thing is an incredible buy. I'm happy with it and actually quite proud to play it as my main guitar now.

I still have a Goodall RCJ (Custom Jumbo) which of course costs almost 5 times what this Epiphone / pickup costs. It is by far the better guitar. But for something that cost 1/5 of that... this Epiphone is the better value. And, although it sounds totally different than the Goodall, it's a good compliment to it. I'm shocked... and very happy!

1 comment:

John said...

I know you have post this review for quite a while...but I couldn't help to give comment, or I should said, feedback on it.

I'm a college student student in Taiwan, and planning to buy a serious guitar after few years using my beginner one. after a long search I find Epiphone masterbilt series really rock!

I carefully considered the comments on them throughout almost everywhere google can find and I nearly didn't see any complaint on it. What more, people keep comparing it with some REALLY AMAZING guitars and as conclusions, they said they're "different", instead of "lose".

These praise keep confusing me. Because I just can't feel relax to buy something that is "all good". and after seeing your review on the Masterbilt guitar, I finally find some flaws on it--but it remains an amazing guitar!

thank you Russel. Because of you, I've made up my mind spend all my savings to get one.

my last doubt would be: an AJ-500R or an AJ-500M?

I know it depends on personal taste, but I just like to hear something from others, especially people full of taste of tones like you. :)

I'll be really touched if it is convenient for you to give me words on this. you can send to my gmail:finfu509@gmail.com
this is also my facebook account if you're interested in ASIA lifes :)