Monday, December 17, 2007

"That's Not Work!"

During the winter months, I often don't take many photos. Why? Because there just aren't many weddings happening during those months in the Chicago area! Something about the cold weather and the sloppy, messy snow just doesn't make for a nice wedding day, so brides wait for at least the Spring.

So what do I do during the winter months?

Well, I line up business for the coming months by meeting with as many potential clients as I can. I'll spend time on the phone answering questions, I'll meet with clients in my office to show them my sample albums and discuss their weddings, and I'll do a bunch of research on new photography techniques and new equipment.

"THAT'S NOT WORK!"

Isn't it?

Consider that the average phone call from new brides looking for a photographer lasts perhaps 10 minutes to 30 minutes. Yes, sometimes brides can talk your ear off! That's because they are excited about their upcoming wedding and they are looking for the best photographer they can find within their budget. Do that enough times and you'll seriously think that maybe this IS work!

What about my appointments? Often these last 2 hours or more. What?! What do you talk about that lasts that long?! Well, we talk about my background and expertise (what qualifies me to photograph weddings.) And then we talk about their wedding... what is the bride looking for... And we review my sample albums. Then, if everything looks good and the bride decides to book me for her wedding, we need to fill out a services contract and go over all the details about that. Also, we go over expectations on her part and my part. There's a lot of pre-planning that happens right there! The next thing you know, it's 2 hours or more.

Don't forget about the drive time! It takes me 20-30 minutes just to drive to the office and then another 20-30 minutes to drive home.

Do that enough times in a week and now you might start to think, "Maybe this IS work after all!"

A photographer's work doesn't stop with just a click of the shutter release. We do a lot more things behind the scenes that people don't realize.

How about training seminars, research for next year's equipment to improve on quality and efficiency, accounting work to keep the books right... things all other businesses must do as well. Isn't that work?

So before you think, "Hey, you don't work during the winter months!" Think again. I'm still working. I'm just not shooting!

No comments: