Monday, January 14, 2008

Gotoh Delta 510 Tuners - More Than Just A Face Lift

Gotoh Delta 510 Tuners



Schaller Mini Tuners


I installed a new set of Gotoh Delta 510 1:21 Tuners on my Goodall RCJ guitar. This is a lot more than just a face lift for the Goodall.

I've had three other guitars with Gotoh 510's on them and each guitar benefited from these tuners. They are super smooth when you turn the tuning buttons. But besides the nice feel of the tuners, they allow for incredible fine tuning. At 1:21 ratio, I can dial right into perfect pitch with these tuners.

The older mini Schaller tuners that came stock on the Goodall Concert Jumbo did the job, but it required a lot more work to get the right pitch. Just a slight touch and you could be off. These were 1:14 ratio tuners.

The Gotohs are the most unique looking tuners out there. Definitely not for those who want a traditionalist's approach to the look of their headstock!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ, Nice guitar and I love the way the gotoh tuners look. I've been thinking about putting some on my Martin J40 which has the same Mini Schaller's. Did you have to do any modification (drilling) or did they just drop in? Thanks. James

russlowe said...

James:

The only drilling required was for the set screws you see below each of the tuners in the back of the headstock. A word of advice... line up the tuners perfectly first, then tighten down the nut so that the tuners don't move. THEN drill the hole for the set screws. Be sure to drill directly in the middle of the hole otherwise when you tighten up the screws, the tuners could be off alignment.

Be sure to mark your maximum depth of drilling on the drill bit using some masking tape. You don't want to accidentally drill through the headstock and into the front of it!

Good luck!

Russ

russlowe said...

By the way, for my Schallers, the original set screw holes that were there were covered up by the larger body of the Gotoh tuners. Before you do anything, be sure you get a Gotoh tuner and put it first before you drill a new hole. You want to make sure the body covers over the set screw hole of the Schallers. Luckily, mines did, so you can't see any sign of that hole.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Thanks Russ. I just orded the Gotoh tuners. I'll let you know how it goes. James

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ,I finally installed the Gotoh tuners on my J40. They went in just as you described. I really like the look and they smooooth. Thanks for the tips. James