Friday, March 07, 2008

Taylor GS - Maple / Sitka








This is my second Taylor GS - MS (now known as the GS6.) I had an earlier one of these guitars a little over a year ago which had the Taylor Expression System installed, but I sold it.

I went through a bunch of guitars since then, but after considering what guitar seemed to give me the best all-around performance of all, I decided that the GS in maple and sitka spruce had the best sound quality. So this time, I purchased the same guitar but without the ES system and installed a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup in it instead. I prefer the sound of this pickup over the ES system. I play the K&K with the K&K external preamp and usually cut the mid-frequencies by about 20 dB at 1.5 KHz. Besides the K&K pickup, I also installed new Gotoh Delta 510 1:21 ratio tuners, brass EZ-Peg bridge pins and my custom truss rod cover.

This GS (as did the other GS-MS) had the best bass response out of all the GS guitars I've owned, including the R. Taylor Style 1. It's deep and punchy and crisp all at the same time. And the clarity is unbelieveable as well! I use Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Lights on this guitar and it works out great! Even though the string gauge is light gauge, I don't feel I'm missing anything. The GS is designed for medium gauge strings to drive the top more, but the lights are just easier to play.

So once again, a Taylor is back in my home and is doing quite well. This one could be the one I keep!

No comments: