Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Data Recovery


I have been performing data recovery on one of my external hard drives.

Recently, I installed a new 500GB internal hard drive in my computer but while preparing the drive for installation, I accidentally deleted the partition of one of my external drives! No fear, none of my wedding photography images are on this drive, but a lot of my other daily data is! By deleting this partition, the drive becomes inaccessable.

I called several data recovery firms and found that most charge anywhere from $500 to $2000 to do a recovery on a 200 GB drive. But with the advice of several friends, I went on-line to find some data recovery software to do it myself.

I purchased "Recover My Files" for $59.95 and have successfully recovered all of my files from this external hard drive! I highly recommend this program if you are in need of data recovery. It does take quite some time for the program to search for all of the files on a large disk drive, but you can save hundreds if not thousands of dollars by doing it yourself!

I did have some problems finding my Microsoft Outlook email files on the first try, so I decided to do another search specifically for Outlook files. It's searching right now as I'm typing this. As you can see in the screenshot above, so far it's found two of these files. So I'm hopeful this will also be recovered. (Edit: 4-25-08 - Email is back up and running and fully intact!)

All of this work has taken a toll on my time and pushed my workload schedule back by several days. But I'm thankful that at least I have not lost some critical files.

So, if you ever find yourself in need of recovering files... consider Recover My Files. It's well worth the $59.95 price!

No comments: