Thursday, July 03, 2008

Smart Car

Image borrowed from Smartusa.com website

Image borrowed from Wikipedia.com website

Have you seen these Smart Cars on the road yet? I've seen several here in the Chicago area already. Wow... are they small. One pulled up next to a standard mid-size car today and I was surprised to see that the Smart Car was less than half the size!

I wonder how this car would hold up should it get in an accident? Makes me worry...

The lower image is a 1977 Chevrolet Chevette. My first car was a 1976 Chevy Chevette and it looked almost identical to the one you see above! I thought my car was small, but the Smart Car has it beat in terms of size. My car had a decal on the lower side of the car, just before the rear wheel well that said, "Rally 1.6." It came with sportier wheel covers than you see above, but yeah, it was still a nerdy car. My dad bought it new for around $3700 so that I could get to school while I was attending college. Years later, my car caught fire and the entire interior burned! My guess was that the new muffler was installed too close to the underside of the car and caused the fire. Rather than declaring the car a total loss, surprisingly, the insurance company had the car repaired! It was totally burned out and waterlogged by the fire department, but they still fixed it! Shocking!

No comments: