Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Alvarez AJ60SC/12 - 12-String Guitar





Recently, the Chicago area members of The Acoustic Guitar Forum had a jam session at one of our member's home where we had a wonderful time playing and sharing each other's company. While we were there, I received a phone call from my daughter telling me she had gotten accepted to the college of her choice. While I was very excited and happy for her, I also knew that it also meant that going forward, I'd have to be very careful on how I now spend my money...

As you may know, I've gone through a LOT of acoustic guitars in the past few years... buying and selling... hoping to find the right guitar. Well, I did and settled on a Taylor GS-MS (aka GS6). But one of the guitars I had in my possession before selling it was a Yamaha 12-string.

Well, our host was playing his great Taylor 12-string and I made a comment that one day, I would like to get another 12-string. But knowing that my daughter now needs that money for school more than I do for guitars, I sadly added that it probably wouldn't happen for me for a while now with college expenses to pay for. Besides, all the gear that I need to buy for my photography business to stay competive also consumes a lot of money as well.

Sitting next to me was my friend John, who always cheerfully comes to our Chicago gatherings whenever we have one. But John lives in Michigan! Yes, he drives the whole way and even gets a hotel sometimes rather than drive back the same night. Anyway, he heard this and said to me, "You know, I have two 12-strings and I don't use one much at all and have been thinking of getting rid of it."

It didn't sink in to me, that he was seriously thinking of GIVING IT AWAY... so I just said, "that's nice."

Later, John emails me again talking about getting rid of his other 12-string. I replied back, still not knowing he wanted to give it away. So he writes back once again, but this time saying, "I don't think you understand... I want to GIVE this 12-string to you!" I was floored! It didn't dawn on me that this is what he was thinking!

Well, on Sunday, John drove all the way from Michigan just to deliver to me a terrific Alvarez AJ60SC/12 guitar with case! And, it's in great condition as well!

I have a lot to be thankful for as we approach this year's Thanksgiving... and while I'm thankful for receiving a great new guitar, I'm even more thankful for great friends like John. :)

1 comment:

Taylor Guitars said...

I wish I had a friend like John :)! I'm sure it will be a nice addition to your guitar collection. Hopefully your GS is serving you well. Nice blog by the way. Send me an email when you get a chance. -Ryan (check profile)