Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Film

Kodak Portra Film

Years ago, I shot only with film. That's because that's all we had before digital!

Kodak VPS film, later replaced by the Kodak Portra series of film was what I used to shoot weddings and any work I needed which might want to be retouched. The film had a great lattitude allowing me to be "off" in my exposures and still be able to be brought back to full image quality.

But when digital became a medium where the average professional photographer could afford it, I moved to the new format. Still, film was something that was familiar and comfortable to me. But I haven's shot a single frame of film in many years.

While film has it's following, I've long abandoned it. I recall when my family used to own a stereo store, when Compact Discs first came out, all the high-end audiophiles panned it. "Too bright! Too Sterile sounding! It doesn't have the warmth of analog!" Yeah, we heard it all. But some of what was said was true. CD's did sound a tad too bright... initially. But as producers got more familiar with the new format, and new technologies were being developed to help tame the new digital format, the CD became accepted. Still, analog vinyl enthusiasts still exist and people still buy high-end turntables, cartridges, pre-amps and vinyl recordings (if they can find good copies.)

Is this what's happening in film as well? Are the only ones still using film the "die hard" enthusists? Yes and no. Many commercial photographers still shoot in film. There's a certain "film quality" that exists and it's hard to capture the same look with digital. But for most practical purposes, digital has taken over. It's easier to shoot and delete images you don't want or need and it doesn't cost you any extra money. With film, every frame you shoot is costing you money. So should film be abandoned simply because of cost? I don't think so.

If you want a certain "look" to your images, film can be the answer. If you like to shoot a lot and don't want to spend for every shot you take, digital is the way to go. So why not move totally to digital and forget film? Well, film is a totally different animal compared to digital. You can overexpose a shot with film and be just fine. If you do that with digital, the details will be gone and you can't get it back. With film if you underexpose a shot, it will print up looking "muddy." If you underexpose a little with digital, chances are, you can make it look just fine in Photoshop.

It's totally opposite with film compared to digital! Schools still teach film. If you take a photography class, there's a good chance you'll be taught film. They'll teach you the basics of photography and they'll teach you how to develop B&W film. Why? Well, it's a good way to see and learn the fundamentals of photography. Too often, people today buy digital cameras and all of a sudden, they think they are now pros in photography. I hate to tell you, but it takes a lot more than just a new shiny camera to be a pro. Learning the basics is very important. And there's no better way to learn than to be forced to shoot on a medium where you can't immediately see the results (unlike digital which have LCD screens on the back of the camera for instant gratification.) And, having to learn to develop film and printing a good image using "burning and dodging" techniques will teach you the fundamentals of what makes a good image.

Today, I use all the things I've learned in the past with film and film developing and printing when I work with digital. I try to get the best exposures I can and then I "fix" things in Photoshop by using the knowledge of what looks good when I used to shoot in film. Had I not had the experience of learning to develop and print in B&W and Color films, I don't think I would be as good a photographer today. Other photographers have commented to me that I know so much about the technical aspects of photography. Well, that's just because I come from the "old school of film." You'd be surprised how many of today's photographers have never shot in film! They went straight to digital! That's ok, but there still something about having first learned with film that is so satisfying.

No comments: