Monday, February 09, 2009

My First "Good" Guitar


The very first guitar I owned was a cheap electric that was purchased from a store called Korvettes in Morton Grove, IL. My dad and I went there to find one so I could learn to play guitar. I believe it cost $59.95. It was similar to a Gibson ES-335 but it played awful. It had a very high action making it almost impossible to play anything past the 3rd or 4th fret.

One day, my dad went to a music store near where he worked and was planning on picking up a Fender Rhodes Suitcase 73 keyboard for my brother. While he was there, someone came into the store and asked if the store would buy back the guitar he had purchased from them, but the store was not interested. So my dad asked him what it was... a 1969 Fender Telecaster Thinline. My dad didn't know much about guitars, but he remembered me telling him that Gibson and Fender made some of the best guitars.

My dad asked the man how much he wanted for the guitar and case and he said, $175.00. My dad did not have that much cash on him, so he told the man that if he would go with him back to his company, he'd get the cash. The man agreed.

When I got home from school (I was about 10 years old), my dad told me he had something for me on the sofa. I couldn't believe it when I saw that rectangular Fender case laying on the sofa! When I opened it up, there was the Fender Telecaster Thinline! I was the luckiest kid around!

My dad was always good to me. And he always encouraged me and my brother and sister to practice and do well with our instruments.

As for that first guitar, I sold it for $59.95... yes, the same price we paid for it. And years later, we traded my Fender Telecaster Thinline guitar for a shiny new Gibson Les Paul Deluxe guitar. I've always regretted trading that Fender Telecaster. (I also traded the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe many years later too and regretted that as well.) Maybe one day, I'd like to get one of the re-issued copies of this guitar. I'd like to get one of the Gibson Les Paul Deluxe as well.

I found the photo above on the internet, but can't recall from which site I found it. While it's not the exact guitar I had, it looks exactly like it. One day...

No comments: