Monday, June 01, 2009

AquaTech Rain Shield - Keeping the water out

While my trusty Nikon D3 is basically water resistant, I don't trust it being so. As an added measure for success, I have one of these AquaTech Rain Shields in the event I need to shoot in the rain.

The AquaTech is one of the best rain covers around, but I have no idea if it works or not. I've never had to use it! It's not often a bride is going to want to continue the wedding with downpouring rain happening, but I'm prepared if it does.

The only thing these rain shields do not do is cover the actual lens of the camera. So if water gets on the lens, you'll have "spotty" photos anyway. But at least my camera won't be damaged. The lens' own sunshade extends out beyond the AquaTech and that is supposed to help keep the lens from getting wet. But the moment you tilt the lens towards the sky, all is lost.

You'll see sports photographers shooting with the AquaTech all the time. Regardless of a slight drizzle, the game usually continues. Check out football and baseball games on TV. You'll see the AquaTech in use then...

2 comments:

Momma said...

I need to get a waterproof case for mine. We're planning a canoe trip this summer I can't bear to go on a trip without my precious camera, but it's obviously too much of a risk. I don' tfind myself shooting in the rain all that often, although I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and the weather doesn't look too promising...

russlowe said...

The AquaTechs won't help in a canoe, but obviously no problem in the rain. Still, it does not cover the lens and of course the opening below where your hand goes into the bag is a place where water can seep in as well. OK for sports and weddings, but not canoe trips.

The waterproof cases are very expensive. An alternative is to use two zip lock bags (one inside the other) to safeguard the camera. But of course the moment you want to take a shot, you'll have to take the camera out of the bags. It's only good for keeping the camera with you and not getting it wet.