Monday, June 29, 2009

"I Can't Afford An Album, So I Can't Book You..."

Somrtimes I meet potential clients who like my work, but they tell me they can't afford me. Or, they'll tell me they can't hire me because they can't afford the album. Should they move on to another photographer?

I don't think so.

If you find someone who you like personally, and you find someone whose style of photography you like, but you can't afford that photographer, find other ways to book him/her! Often photographers have lower priced packages that do not include an album. Do that! Why? Because you'll at least still get the quality of the photographer's vision and work. You can always get a wedding album later.

Often, after the wedding, you'll find yourself with a bunch of "gift money" and I've had clients in the past who come back to me right after the wedding was shot to order an album at that time. That's a smart way to get the right photographer booked in advance and then get the album you want afterwards.

And what if you still can't afford an album after the wedding? Don't worry about it. The key is to get quality images taken in the first place. Why book a photographer who offers you a lot of items including an album but is just a tough personality to deal with or if his/her photos are not up to par? You'll still end up with a bad time at your wedding and bad photos! Of course you would have saved some money, but was it worth it? Not to mention that bad photos in an album... still come out looking... bad!

To me, it's better to have nice photos with a nice person than to be stuck with a grouchy photographer for the day who gives mediocre photos. Don't you agree?

So if you are on the fence about which photographer to hire for your wedding or event, pick the one who you feel most comfortable with and who offers the best quality images possible. I'm sure you can find a happy medium to work together. You may find he/she is willing to work out something for you if you are the right client. All you need to do is ask to see what can be done.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I totally agree Russ! Having worked in the wedding industry as a DJ, I learned there are two things you just don't skimp on... the DJ and the photographer! They are both so important in making your day special, effortless, and ever-lasting!