Thursday, June 04, 2009

One More HDR Photo Example

Standard Version

HDR Version
(7 exposures combined)

I thought I'd share one more photo from today's HDR training session.

I shot this image of the front of my office building, but I had forgotten to use RAW when taking the photos, so instead, I shot the images in JPG.

The HDR version was a combination of 7 exposures shot in JPG. While RAW is the preferred method for working an HDR image, apparently, it's not all that bad with JPG either!

The standard JPG shot is the comparison of a non-HDR image. Which do you like better? While you might initially think that the HDR photo is darker, it really isn't. Look closely at the trees and you'll see that it's actually a little brighter than the standard photo. But of course, the sky is darker and richer due to the nature of the HDR process.

Again, be sure to click on each image to take a closer look. These were taken with the Nikon D3 camera on a tripod, instead of handheld. For a description of what HDR is all about, see the other post from today.

2 comments:

Momma said...

Fantastic!!!

russlowe said...

Thanks!

While most people notice the sky immediately, I also like the way the trees are "lit" up as well. No need for fill-flash with this technique!