Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Is There Any Worth To Old Computers?


Over the years, I've gone through quite a few desktop computers and laptop computers. Technology changes and software requirements demand faster computers. So is there any value and worth to old computers?

I've literally had to throw away computers and monitors. Nobody seemed to want them. I couldn't give them away, and I couldn't donate them either! It seems nobody wants old technology.

Several of these computers worked just fine too. It's just that as I upgraded my software, I found I needed a faster, more powerful computer. So, the old computer gets pushed to the side as the new machine takes over.

Currently, I have two desktop computers and two laptop computers (three laptops if you count my wife's work computer and four laptops if you count my daughter's too.) Who in the world needs that many computers?! I believe I've thrown away three computers so far and that's not counting upgraded motherboards. Do I count those too in the throw-away count? Right now, I have one desktop computer that should be thrown away or given away and also one laptop computer which works just fine but doesn't see much use.

I wonder how many computers the average household has and how many are just sitting around gathering dust as well.

And what about printers? I've owned six so far in which four are still being used. It seems at least with printers, I can still get some use out of them regardless of their age. But don't get me started on printer ink... wow is that stuff expensive...

2 comments:

Gayle Hortelano said...

I have the same thing going on....keyboards, mouses, monitors, etc. I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops collecting dust. I guess E-bay wouldn't be a bad idea at this time.

Ruby2sd4y said...

Throwing them away is environmentally irresponsible. There are recycling centers which (for a small fee for some pieces) safely recycle the parts that need to be kept from landfills. You may also want to try the freecycle.org in your area (as some of the site's users actually look for used/usable components to make up sets and give them away to those unable to afford them or as replacements) as well as disadvantaged teen/children centers as many people using those would welcome a free usable PC or laptop for homework, resume writing or accessing the internet.