Thursday, August 13, 2009

Les Paul




What can I write here that hasn't already been written about the passing of legendary guitarist Les Paul? He passed away today at the age of 94. He lived a long and incredible life.

Les Paul invented multitrack recording and the solid body electric guitar. Every recording artist and every guitarist can thank Les Paul for that.

For me, I owned a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (since sold and I still regret that today) and currently still own a Gibson Les Paul 25th Anniversary guitar. My dad bought both of these guitars for me but the 25th Anniversay holds a special place in my heart since he bought that one for me without any hesitation when I showed him an ad for the guitar and told him that one day that guitar will be a collector's item. It will never be sold by me, so I suppose I'm the final collector of that one! Well, my daughter gets it after I'm gone and she has instructions that it goes to one of her kids after she's gone. So really, it's our family that will be the final collector of this guitar. My 25th anniversary Les Paul is number 26 off the production line for this model. It was also displayed at the NAMM show when this model was introduced to music dealers worldwide. (NAMM stands for the National Association of Music Merchandisers.)

My friend Doyle Dykes has had the opportunity to play with Les Paul several times. He's mentioned many times that playing with Les Paul was one of the biggest thrills for him. It must have been incredible to have two legendary guitarists like Les Paul and Doyle Dykes playing together on stage. I wish I were there to see and hear that!

Les Paul will never be forgotten, but he will be sorely missed.

No comments: