Monday, December 14, 2009

Deadliest Catch

Image Borrowed From The Internet

This year, fishing has gotten back into my blood. Many years ago, when I learned how to fish, I went out as often as I could on Sunday mornings just before going to church. But when nobody else was available to go with me, eventually I stopped going.

This year, my nephews and nieces took an interest and so I got back into it. Now, I've been obsessed it seems.

While I don't want to go ice fishing (at least not yet), I have been keeping my interest by watching fishing shows and reading books on fishing. My most recent interest has been a Cable TV show called the Deadliest Catch. The show has been on the Discovery Channel for several seasons now. For me, I just take out the full season's episodes on DVD at my local library.

It's a great show. After watching, it's hard not to appreciate all the hard work that the guys on the crab boats do to make crabs available for people's dinner tables. It is not at all like what I would have thought fishing would be like. It's a LOT harder!

The various captains have become celebrities now, but it doesn't seems to stop them from wanting to keep going out to go crab fishing. Would I like to do it one day? No way! I'd never survive the Bearing Sea and I'd never survive the amount of work these guys have to do!

If you want to see what life is like out on a crab boat, go check out at least one season of the Deadliest Catch on DVD at your local library. You'll be hooked like me!

2 comments:

Tod said...

Russell,

Should you want to go ice fishing contact me thru www.Midwestangling.com and will be more than happy to take you out and your nephews and nieces, I have three kids that love to fish and will play in the snow if the fish are not bitting.

Tod

Walk on Water cancer benefit 2/13 on Bangs lake will have a kids derby.

2/7/10 Saturday Morning Kids Ice Camp (Lake Lawn Resort)
In class tutorial 10:00am-10:30am
On Ice fishing 10:30am- Noon
NAIFC Pro Staff along with certified instructor Jim Kusuda will promote fishing education through demonstration in classroom tutorials. The Ice Camp will be advertised in the Schools and surrounding community, and will take place at the Lake Lawn Resort. The kids and parents will then be invited to fish on Delavan Lake. Each youth will be given sponsors products and promotional items. When available the kids will also enjoy a hot meal and drinks for a break from the action. Parents must accompany their kids during the event. This is an excellent opportunity to introduce a new way for kids to enjoy what the outdoors has to offer. Fishing outdoors and introduction to the newest technology will give the parent and child a first look at ice fishing.

russlowe said...

Thanks for the offer and information! Not sure I'm up for ice fishing, but if I do decide to do it, I'll let you know.

Your kids may be younger than my nephews and nieces however. Mine are in their mid-teens through mid-20's! :)