Monday, January 25, 2010

Firmware Upgrades - Nikon D3


The Nikon D3 got another firmware upgrade which is reported to give better auto white balance for the camera, among other things.

It's nice when a company tries to improve its existing products. The D3 was already pretty good with white balance so I'm curious how much better this upgrade will do to improve it. It wasn't difficult at all to do the upgrade. A simple download of the software onto a CF card and then pressing a couple of buttons on the D3 was all it took.

I've updated my various cameras many times over the years with firmware updates. Only once did I feel the upgrade did more harm than good (I reverted back to the old firmware in that case.) But in general, the upgrades have always been helpful.

My next wedding is coming up in early February, so it will be interesting to see if the quality improves for that. I have a family portrait session to shoot this Friday and will use the D3 for that as well, but I'll be using custom white balancing for these studio shots.

No comments: