Sunday, March 07, 2010

No Fish! Again...







I went fishing at Waukegan Harbor this morning, but no luck once again! Actually, during the time I was out there, nobody had any luck. Perhaps it was because most of Lake Michigan still had ice!

I went to learn some salmon/trout fishing techniques from a seasoned angler name "Finman" on the various Chicago fishing forums as he was gracious enough to share his secrets for catching fish along the shoreline. A lot of people were there watching intently as he explained the best way to rig up your bait for this type of fishing.

Unfortunately, the area we had hoped to fish was totally iced-over and so we could not fish there. Luckily, another area called Johnson Pier had a possibility of having open water, so many of us borrowed some bait from Finman (Gary) and headed over to that area. To our surprise, most of this area also had ice as well. Luckily, one side of the pier had open water, but some of it was just beginning to freeze. We tried anyway.

I only had the opportunity to fish for perhaps 1-1/2 hours at most, but I was not lucky. Neither were the others. Still we all had a good time joking and laughing about the situation. In fact, two of the guys actually slipped on the thin ice on the pier and we worried that they might fall into the Lake! Fortunately, that did not happen.

The weather was cold, but wasn't bad at all. The forecast for the day was rain, but that did not happen as we were out there. In fact, we had overcast sun and no wind. It was great!

Many thanks to Finman for teaching us willing students how to rig up our rods and reels. While I did not catch anything today, I'm positive that by using this new technique (at least new to me), it is just a matter of time before I do catch my first salmon or brown trout! But since I did not bring home any fish from my outing, you can see what I had to resort to on the top photo. Pitiful, huh? Be sure to click on each photo for a closer look.

3 comments:

Hans Albers said...

Thanks for including my good side (blue hoodie) in the photo. And also thanks for not getting footage of my graceful entrance that you described in your blog post. I've got a sore shoulder but at least not dashed up against the rocks in the lake.

russlowe said...

Hans:

I was really nervous when I heard and saw you go down on that ice! Then moments later another one of us did nearly the same thing! I started warning the others as they approached as I did not want to see it happen again.

Sorry you got hurt, but glad you didn't end up even worse by landing on the rocks in the water!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again another day out there!

Tight lines! :)

russlowe said...

Update... at around 3 PM, someone caught a huge monster pike out there! 34 inches with a 14 inch girth! Caught with the rig that Finman taught us to use. It works! :)