Thursday, April 08, 2010

4-1/2 Years of Blogging

My first blog post was on October 4, 2005. I never thought I'd still be at it! Encouraged by another photographer to start a blog, I did it and have been consistently doing it for four and a half years now.

Recently, I was talking to another photographer about blogging and we discussed what a blog should be like. Unlike other photographers, I adopted from the beginning that my blog would not simply be about photography or specifically wedding photography. There are plenty of those kinds of blogs around. Plus, can you really post anything more than just photos of recent weddings for four and a half years?

Because of the potential lack of new and interesting things to write about, I decided that if this blog were to be able to go on for years, it would have to be about things that just simply interested me. Hopefully my readers would find it interesting too. I didn't want to just post photos of brides every week. Besides, wedding photographers don't always work on new weddings every week! Bookings can vary... can you imagine how lucky we'd be if we could find a new client to book every single Saturday without overlap? Impossible really.

So here, you read about things I like. Guitars, fishing, forensics, photography, video reviews... whatever. It's kept me going for four and a half years, and on average, I'm writing about twice per week. If I'm lucky, I have photos to show you. If I don't have something new that I photographed, I try to find photos on the internet to support what I'm saying.

My blog statistics show me that many of my readers are not from the Chicago area. Many people find me by simply doing a search on Google looking for photos. I often wonder if they read the things that I write to support those photos. And, I wonder if they come back again too. I know I get a lot of viewers from across the world. It's always fun to see where people come from. I can tell you, it's all over the world.

I'll continue this blog for as long as there are interesting things to write about or interesting photos to show. There are weeks that I struggle to come up with things to discuss. Other times, it is really easy to find a topic.

Thanks for continuing to follow along and read about my interests!

No comments: