Sunday, April 11, 2010

Doyle Dykes - Live Sessions - People... Places... And Pickin'



This is Doyle Dykes' second DVD and I can honestly say, "It's a good one!"

If you have never experienced Doyle's playing before, you need to get this DVD. It contains a lot of the music you will find from his latest "Bridging The Gap" CD and it also features other legendary musicians playing with Doyle as well as interviews with them too.

Who is on this DVD? It's an all-star cast really... Duane Eddy, Phil Keaggy, Tommy Emmanuel and Steve Wariner for starters. And let's not forget Dave Pomeroy, Jimmy Capps, John Gardner and Doyle's own brother Aubry Dykes. Plus, Doyle's son Caleb Dykes and daughter Haley Dykes join their dad as well! Oh and for Taylor Guitar fans, there's a nice interview with Bob Taylor as well. What a treat!

While it is always nice to hear Doyle play in concert by himself, it is an added dimension when you hear him play along with these other talented musicians. But besides the music, I especially liked the interviews. You'll hear testimonies from the other musicians telling you not only how great a guitar player Doyle is, but also what a nice and humble person he is as well. I can personally attest to that.

Having known Doyle now for many years, I can tell you that while I admire his incredible guitar playing, I admire him even more as a person. I think the other musicians will agree with me on this one. He's one of the nicest guys I know and an even greater Christian. Doyle is the first to admit that his talent comes from God and that he plays to honor Him. Those who have attended his concerts will tell you he is not shy to tell others about Christ and gives all glory to Him as well. How many internationally known artists do you know do that?

If you will be attending any of his concerts, I encourage you to pick up a copy of this DVD. Not only will you be able to re-live the amazing things you heard and saw in concert, but you'll get some interesting insight to who Doyle Dykes really is and what drives him. Especially touching are the comments from Doyle's brother Aubrey who himself is a fine keyboard player.

This DVD is easily my new favorite music DVD and that's not because I know Doyle. It is because it contains exceptional performances from a wide range of talented musicians all celebrating their friendships with a great guy... Doyle Dykes. :)

2 comments:

John Edwards said...

Hi Russ,
I've just returned from fabulous evening seeing Doyle play at GuitarGuitar in Epsom, England.
I've seen Doyle on many occasions over the last 17 years (!) and tonight was exceptional.
After playing and talking for nearly 2 hours, he still took time to talk to all who wanted to see him after.
Bought Bridging the Gap CD and also the Live Session DVD which I didn't know about (!), and look forward to seeing it later.
Totally agree on your comments on his playing and also what a lovely man he is.
A friend of mine who recently lost someone was deeply touched by his comment on how music reaches out to those who are less fortunate or need of help. How so true was that. God bless him. Thanks. John :-)

russlowe said...

Thanks for leaving a comment John. Yes, Doyle is a great guy. Search my blog more for posts on Doyle. I have quite a few posts here on him and his family.