Tuesday, May 04, 2010

What Have I Been Doing?

My brother and I have not played music together as a team in at least 25 years. He's a full-time piano instructor today and I'm a photographer. While he plays music professionally, I do it for fun.

His church has had "Coffee House" events in the past and he's asked me to accompany him on some old 60's and 70's tunes that he hopes to showcase at their June coffee house. I have agreed to perform with him. While we have played informally together just one other time in these 25 years (also one of his church events in which I was the featured performer), it was an impromptu performance. This time we are doing a full set... probably at least 12 songs.

So what have I been doing when not working? I've been practicing! While it's fairly easy for me to play any of our old tunes on the guitar, my voice needs practicing. It's not easy to hit those high notes anymore!

It will be fun to play music together again. We'll be performing on the first Friday in June. One of my photography students plans to photograph us. Hopefully we'll get some nice photos and I can post a few at that time.

No comments: