Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Boss TU-3 Chromatic Guitar Tuner

For many years, I relied only on my ear to tune my guitars.  While it is true that I have "perfect pitch", I find it is very convenient to use an electronic guitar tuner at times.

With the Boss TU-3 guitar tuner, I'm able to tune my guitar without allowing the audience to hear me do so because it cuts out the output to the amplifier while I'm tuning.  So even in the middle of a song, if I wanted to check the pitch of a string, I can simply stomp on the pedal, pick at the string in question and check its pitch.  While I'm doing that, nobody can hear me tuning since the rest of the musicans who are continuing to play will cover up any of the sound my guitar will make while tuning.  My sound doesn't get amplified when I'm tuning!  When I'm ready to play again, I just stomp on the pedal once more and start playing.  Try doing that without an electronic tuner!

I get a visual confirmation as to whether my string is sharp or flat in comparison to the correct pitch.  It's very easy to see even on a dark stage.

While there are plenty of guitar tuners out there, the ease of use, build quality and accuracy of the Boss TU-3 is really hard to beat.  It's not the cheapest tuner out there, but it is well worth the price.

TU-3 photo borrowed from the internet.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I like using the daisy chain for a power supply as well.

russlowe said...

Yes! That's another convenient feature! :)