Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Done With Fishing For The Year?

I've been out to Waukegan Harbor many times this year and have never caught a single fish.  Most likely, I just don't know what I'm doing.  But it doesn't appear I'm the only one with this problem.  More people seem to be in the same boat (no pun intended) as I am with nothing to show for their efforts.

Because of this, I think next year I'm going to get a fishing license for the state of Wisconsin.  From reports I've read on the internet and also from personal accounts from fishing friends who go there, Wisconsin's the place to be if you want to catch some nice Salmon out of Lake Michigan.  So it looks like I may be done for this year as far as fishing is concerned.

I don't do ice fishing (too cold) and while this is the time for people to go out "snagging" for salmon, I'm just not into that.  Snagging is where you throw a big heavy hook at a fish if you see it and hope it hits the fish so you can drag it in.  To me, there's not a fighting chance for the fish this way and it just seems plain "mean" to me.  It's just gotta hurt too!  So you won't see me out there snagging for fish.  I may be desperate to get a fish, but I just can't see myself doing it that way.

So perhaps next season, I'll head up to Wisconsin.  The license year starts in April for fishing licenses, so I've got many months to think about how to approach it.  Perhaps I need to start reading every book I can get my hands on that discusses the way fish behave.  It seems those who know this, do much better.  Technique helps as well.  But I guess I have got to start thinking like a fish, if I want to catch one!  :)

No comments: