Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Salmon Are Not Native To The Great Lakes



A common thing I get from people who find out that I like to fish for Salmon out of Lake Michigan is, "I didn't know Salmon was in Lake Michigan!"

Well, it isn't.  It is stocked into Lake Michigan.  The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) stocks them in and we rip them right out!  :)

Our fishing license allows us to fish for the year and we also pay a "Salmon Stamp" fee as well which helps to fund the Salmon stocking program.  From what I'm told, areas like Kenosha, Wisconsin and Racine, Wisconsin stock more Salmon than Waukegan, IL.  For years I've been saying, "Next year, I'm going to get myself a Wisconsin license and go up there to fish!"  But each year, something comes up and I just have not had the opportunity of time to do it!

This year, all of the new students coming in to take photography lessons have kept me from doing it.  No real regrets as I really enjoy teaching.  But there are days I long to get out there to do a little fishing but just can't find the time to do it!

I have yet to catch a Salmon from the piers.  No problem doing it from a boat though.  Still, I like getting out there and enjoy seeing the sunrise and sunset from the water... even if I don't catch anything.  Maybe next year....

(image borrowed from the internet)

No comments: