Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Nikon Announces the new Nikon D800 and D800E Cameras!


 
Nikon has announced the new D800 and D800E cameras... 36.3 MP! The selling prices will be $2999.95 and $3299.95 respectively. This camera won't have the speed of a D4, but is much more suited to those who want the ultimate in high-res images. It clearly beats out the D3x (Nikon's former flagship 24.5 MP, $7999.95 camera) at a fraction of its price.

This camera is not for everyone. It's a large megapixel camera that will make files that are about 76.5MB in size and will only shoot at a maximum frame rate of 4 FPS. I can't see a typical wedding photographer really wanting this, but I'm sure some will go for it.

For me, it makes more sense today than the D4. Having a D3 and the D800 would be a great combination for me. Use the D3 when I need fast shooting in the field with relatively good image quality, but use the D800 when the ultimate image quality is desired without need for fast shooting speed. I see this as a great studio camera. The question is whether to get a D800 or a D800E!

The D800E removes the anti-aliasing filter (which usually is used to control moiré.) This means images might exhibit moiré  problems, but the removal of the filter also means a more detailed image quality too... something that will rival medium format digital cameras.

Time will tell which of these two cameras will eventually end up in my camera case, but I can already see myself buying one of these. I'll keep the D3 at this point and add to it with the D800 or D800E.

Release dates are March and April, but I'm in no real hurry to get one. I'm going to be watching and reading the reviews as others play with the camera first.

Images borrowed from the internet.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Always better to have a more choices than fewer.