Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Apple 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display


After years of working only with a PC, I decided it was time to purchase an Apple Mac computer.

I bought an 13" Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display at the Apple store in Woodfield Mall.

So why did I finally decide to get a Mac after all these years?  Well, students have been coming in with their computers for the past several years and I just could not help them figure out their MAC issues while they were in my Photoshop or Lightroom classes.  While the goal of these classes is not for me to teach the students how to use a computer, sometimes students just do not know enough about their operating systems to do basic functions like copying files and moving them to their desktops.  I often needed to rely on the other Mac users in the class to help them out.  I can teach them Photoshop and Lightroom, but I can't teach them how to use a Mac.

Getting this new computer should help me learn a little more about how things are done on an Apple computer.  Sure, it cost around $2000 with tax to buy this, but on the long run, it's an investment in helping my students.  Yes, I spend a lot of money on their behalf!

I'll post more about my learning experiences with the Mac in the coming weeks.  But so far, I find it more difficult to use than a PC simply because I am used to how things work on a PC.  File manipulation seems laborious to me so far.  It's not as easy as everyone makes it out to be if you are coming from the PC world.  That should improve as I get more up to speed on it.

Stay tuned!

(Image taken with a Nikon D4s, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and Alien Bees B400 studio lights with umbrellas.)

No comments: