Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Problem With PCs...


Back in 2011, I purchased a new Dell XPS 17" laptop with an i7 processor.  It has served me well until this past year where it has started to really slow down.  It's a problem common to any PC.

With the last two days off of work, I decided it was time to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of the Windows 7 operating system and reinstall all of the programs.  I've done this type of thing many times to other PC computers, so it was easy to do.

The problem though is that you HAVE to do it eventually.  PC's seem to really start slowing down the more you use them.  Perhaps this is a MAJOR reason users of Apple Macs really prefer using a Mac!

I've heard that this isn't necessary to do on a Mac.  Time will tell as I continue using my new Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I also defragment the hard drive of my PC's regularly.  Again, I've heard that this is not necessary on a Mac.  Not really sure why though!  Also, since my drive on my MacBook Pro is a flash drive, it's been said that you definitely do not want to do a defrag of this kind of drive.

I use McAfee anti-virus software with my PC's and also Malwarebytes for controlling malware.  Does anyone know if this is necessary for Macs?  If so, what antivirus programs are best for a Mac?

By the way, after reloading the Windows 7 operating system, I have well over 200 software updates reloading back in as well.  Some started to have problems reloading and so I simply stopped the auto-update function of Windows 7 to control having to sit at the computer all day trying to get the updates to work.  It's just another issue with PC use!

So far my experiences with an Apple Mac have been mixed.  I like some things, but not others.  But I will say this... PC's are a pain to deal with when they start slowing down!  Apples win in this regard!

Oh... the PC is blazing fast again since the reinstallation!

(Image borrowed from the Internet)

No comments: