Thursday, January 07, 2016

Whatever You Do In Life Today Prepares You For What You May Do In The Future

One bit of advice I have given to students over the years is that whatever you do in life today prepares you for what you may do in the future.

It's true.

For myself, I have done a LOT of different jobs over the years.  When I graduated college, I helped with sales at my family's stereo store.  I have had many sales jobs since then too.  I've worked as a project manager, a director of operations, a VP of sales and marketing.  I have also collected crime scene evidence and processed evidence for fingerprints.  I have taken lots of photos at crime scenes too while working at the San Diego District Attorney's Office.  I prepared crime scene sketches of building interiors for use in court cases.  I've testified as an expert witness in Forensic Photography, Videography and Audio.  I've photographed weddings.  I've created portraits.  I opened a photography school.  I teach photography.

Looking back on all the things I've done over the years, each experience was useful for the next job I was to get.

For example, today, I own a photography school and teach there as well.  I am offering a Real Estate Photography class soon.  What qualifies me to photograph homes?  Think about what is involved to run this class...

I photographed crime scenes.  Many of these are interior photos of homes or commercial buildings.  My experience in photographing crime scenes and interiors of buildings is just like real estate photography.  The difference is that in crime scene photography, I had to tell a story of how rooms connected to other rooms.  I had to show the path that the suspect took when he went through the building.  These are the kinds of photos that are also needed in real estate photography, except many agents don't know that.

My experience in law enforcement is helping me with my current job of teaching a real estate photography class!  My sales background is helping me to market and sell the class.  My experience in managing our stereo store is helping me in running a photography school business.

Everything you do in life prepares you for what you will do in the future.  Don't think that what you do today isn't worthy or important.  It's just preparation for your future.

Carry on...

No comments: