Saturday, June 04, 2016

ThermoWorks RT-600C Super Fast Pocket Thermometer





Several weeks ago, I purchased the ThermoWorks RT-600C Super Fast Pocket Thermometer on sale directly from Thermoworks, but did not get to try it until yesterday when I barbecued chicken breast and chicken legs on my new Weber Spirit E-310 gas grill.

In the past, I'd cook up food on grills and judged its doneness by the way it looked.  However, I always felt that the best way to do it would be to measure the internal temperature of the food, but I never had a thermometer to do it with.  With this inexpensive thermometer (approx $19 on sale), I finally had the chance to see if I would improve on my grilling skills.

I checked the internal temperature of the chicken and stopped cooking when the chicken's internal temperature reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit (the recommended doneness temperature).  To me, the chicken looked a little under done as I'm used to grilling chicken until it was a lot darker (which also meant much more dried out!)  But going to an internal temperature of 165 degrees actually made the chicken juicier and it was cooked enough!

Going forward, this little device will be the way I judge whether the things being cooked on the grill is done or not.  Well worth the money!

No comments: