Monday, November 28, 2005

Where Are The Harps?

It's been a while since I've been to a wedding that had harp music playing! I really miss it!

Now it's quite common to have violins, cellos, guitars, piano, organ, flute... but have you ever considered hiring a harpist for your wedding?

I recall being at a wedding in San Diego in which a harpist was hired to play music as guests were arriving. It was just beautiful. I could hear the guests all commenting how unusual it was and how much they enjoyed the music. It's definitely not a common thing to see or hear. The harp is so mellow... it really sets a wonderful mood.

You may be thinking that harps might not be loud enough for a large church. But today, harps can be amplified! I remember checking out some music equipment at a local Guitar Center music store and going into the sound reinforcement showroom. To my surprise, there was a harpist auditioning the latest PA system! I had been to many music stores in the past but never had I seen a harp at one of these stores! The sound of that harp through the latest Mackie speaker system was just amazing! It even got the attention of several of the local "heavy metal" musicians in the store. They just stopped looking at equipment and came in to just listen to her play! They were all very impressed. Now THAT is a major compliment, I'd say! If you can get compliments from these guys, you KNOW you are good! :)

So if you want something unique to set a mellow mood at your wedding, consider hiring a harpist! Just do a search for Harp+Chicago and you'll be sure to find some sites!

No comments: