Saturday, April 15, 2006

Mother-In-Laws

I think Mother-In-Laws (MIL) don't get the respect they often deserve. I mean, how many MIL jokes have you heard in your lifetime?

Often they are said to be meddling, obnoxious, overbearing... you name it, they've been called it.

And this abuse comes from both sides... Son-in-laws dislike their MIL's, Daughter-in-laws dislike their MIL's...

Just look at the show "Everybody Loves Raymond." They've made a fortune working the stereotype of the MIL. Granted in the show, "Marie" is definitely a product of this stereotyping. She's meddling, throws verbal jabs at Raymond's wife Debra's cooking and cleaning abilities (or lack of it in Debra's case) and generally gets on everyone's nerves when it comes to her son Raymond.

So are all mother-in-laws like this?

No.

For me, my mother-in-law was far from this stereotype. She never meddled, she never criticized and she was never overbearing. In general, she left us alone to do whatever we wanted to do and she supported whatever we did.

In my case, I never really had a single conversation with my mother-in-law. Why? Because she didn't speak any English! Some may say that's a blessing in disguise... but for me, I really wish I could have conversed with my MIL to let her know how much she did not conform to the stereotypical ways of MIL's depicted on TV and how much I appreciated that.

My mother-in-law passed away just yesterday after spending two weeks in hospice care. We were all with her at the end.

She'll be sorely missed by everyone. She was a terrific mother and grandmother and to me... a great mother-in-law.

While you still can, take the time to tell your own MIL or MIL-to-be... how much you appreciate her. Little things like this go a long way.

Russ

No comments: