Sunday, April 15, 2007

"We"re Using Disposable Cameras"




I recently spoke with the the mother of a groom who told me that she intends on giving "disposable" cameras to the guests of her son's wedding to save money on photography.

I had been given her name by someone and was asked to follow up to see if she might need my services. So after talking to her on the phone, she told me that many of her guests had digital cameras and that those who didn't could use disposable cameras to document her son's wedding.

I listened to her reason that photography cost way too much and that anyone with a camera could do just as good a job as a professional because cameras had gotten so good over the years.

I couldn't help but chuckle to myself because she just did not understand that a good photo doesn't come from the camera but rather from the photographer. In the hands of a pro, even a "disposable" camera can take some incredible photos. But in the hands of someone who knows nothing about composition, timing, steadiness, exposure, among other things... that same camera can produce some awful images!

There was no convincing her that she was putting her son's wedding photography in jeopardy by doing what she intended on doing. But a dollar saved is a dollar saved, right?

After I hung up the phone, I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for her son and future daugther-in-law. All too often, in the attempt to save a few dollars, something gets sacrificed. In this case, it will be the loss of good photos from her son's wedding.

Besides the individual photos from the wedding, a nice album design really makes the presentation so much better. Take the photo above from one of my recent client's wedding. In their album, this image is 10"x 20" in size. You can't do that with photos unless you've got good photos, a nice album and the design ability to produce panorama images like this.

It's too bad her son is going to be missing out...

No comments: