Thursday, August 23, 2007

The White House


I recall taking this image of the White House many years ago with a cheap Sony Mavica camera.

I had been on a trip out to the Washington DC area and remembered once driving past the general area years ago but never getting to see the White House. So on this second trip, I wanted to make sure I got to go see it.

Security was very high, but it was just before the 911 incident had occurred in 2001. So you were able to go right up to the fence which keeps the property off limits from the general public. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, The White House looks SO SMALL!" It wasn't as grand as I had thought it would be. I remember seeing photos of the White House when I was young and imagining it would be this huge home. It wasn't.

I had heard that right after 911, all tours had ceased to the White House. I'm not sure what they are doing today, but I hope things have opened up for tourists to see now. It's a real pity how times have changed since the 911 attack.

I've never been on a White House tour. Maybe one day...

Here's the Sony Mavica that took the photo above.  Yes, it recorded onto 3.5" floppy disks!!


No comments: