Friday, December 21, 2007

What Kind of Friends Do You Have?

I've often said that I have more women friends than men friends. Everyone who knows me, knows that.

I'm not sure why that is. Often I just feel more comfortable with my female friends than with some of my male friends. Perhaps that's because I don't do a lot of the things that other men often do. For instance, I don't watch sports (often) and I don't keep track of sports statistics. So I can't talk intelligently with other men when they discuss Sunday's football game, or debate which player will be the next MVP (most valuable player.)

Now that's not to say that I'm also well versed at the topics that women discuss either. But I'm not intimidated by anything they discuss! I know some men will shy away whenever some women discuss topics that are too "personal" and will excuse themselves and leave. Not me. I'll hang in there and it doesn't bother me one bit. I may say, "That's more than I needed to know!" But you won't see me turning all red and leaving.

How does my wife feel about the fact that I feel more comfortable with women than men? I don't think she cares! She knows. In fact, I'll have lunch with a bunch of my women friends and not blink an eye. They often call me up and say, "Hey Russ, a bunch of us girls are getting together for lunch. Wanna come?" Surprised? It doesn't surprise my wife one bit. And she doesn't worry about it either.

Perhaps that's why its so easy for me to be a wedding photographer. Often, I'm hanging out with all the ladies during the wedding day. I'm with the bride as she's getting ready. I'm taking photos of the bridesmaids when they are helping her get ready. I'm not shy one bit being there. Don't get me wrong... I don't take photos while the girls are changing. I step out of the room when they do that. But once the dress is on, I'm back in there. It's my job to document pre-ceremony events.

Gary Fong, one of the world's most famous wedding photographers is the same way. He says that most of his best friends are women as well. Maybe that's the key to being a great wedding photographer! You have to have lots of women friends!

So what kind of friends do you have?

No comments: