Saturday, December 29, 2007

"What Kind of Photography Blog Is This Anyway?!"

Many of you may be wondering why I write about more than just photography. After all, many other photographers have blogs and all you see are samples of their work. Week after week, you see what they've shot at weddings and other assignments. It gets them more work when potential clients see how popular they are as photographers and can see the kind of work they do. So why? Why in the world would a wedding photographer write and post photos about things like Guitars and other non-photography related topics?

Well, I figure it this way... I've been shooting weddings a long time. A lot longer than perhaps many of my competition out there. I started in 1990. So next year, I'm entering the 18th year since photographing my first wedding. After so many years, I've come to learn that what sells my clients on my work is not just my work. It's also my personality and how I approach weddings and work with my clients. Sometimes it's just how I approach life too!

Often clients have said, "Wow, Russ... you are so laid back when it comes to weddings. You don't seem to worry about anything when you were working at our wedding." You know what? It's pretty much true. I don't really worry as much as other photographers. Maybe that's just because I've encountered so many kinds of things at weddings that it just doesn't phase me anymore. But it could also be that I'm comfortable at weddings. It's a natural thing for me now.

The same thing can be said about how I approach my blog. I'm comfortable with my work and don't rely on just my blog to get me business. Sure, it's good to see some of my work here, but I think it's also important for my potential clients to see what else drives me. I have other interests besides photography too.

Guitars and playing guitars is up on the top of the list for my recreational activities. I've been playing guitars since I was 10. That's a long time! And, my enthusiasm about guitars and music is still very high. I just plain like it! So it's natural for me to talk about what I like to do.

Forensics is another topic I like because I used to do that type of work. It's just a part of me. So why wouldn't I want to share that as well?

So while my fellow photographers show you their latest weddings, you'll get to see other things here. Sure, I'll post about weddings and I'll talk about photography. After all, I like this too! But don't be surprised to see me talking about other things I like as well. It gives you a better picture about me and what drives me.

Of course, you could say that music and guitars are also creative outlets. I think maybe that's why so many photographers like music and play instruments as well. Or perhaps they are artists. It's just a natural creative outlet for people like us.

So there you have it. Expect to see posts about more than just weddings and photography. It's just the way it is! And don't worry, I'll post a picture or two of SOMETHING as well. :)

No comments: